Do you still have no idea what a programming language is? As we all know, we require a specific language to interact with people; similarly, programmers need a language called Programming language to speak with machines.
Any child can learn and grow programming as a valuable ability. Learning to code and interpreting the many coding languages might be difficult at first, especially for kids who are just starting started. There are several well established online code learning platforms that can really upskill your child.
What are the best programming languages for kids? However, with so many different programming languages to choose from, it can be challenging to know which one is best for your kids. We’ve come up with a list of some of the most fun, helpful, and even challenging programming languages for your kids.
Here is a list of the top 10 programming languages for kids who are interested in learning to code:
If your kids are going to learn to code, you’ll want them to have a fundamental understanding of how to think like a programmer. When it comes to learning how to program in Python, kids will face a few challenges. They will learn how to develop programming ideas in their thoughts before focusing on converting these ideas into machine-readable instructions. Many of the typical features that programmers require are already embedded, making it the ideal language for kids to learn.
Python programming is perfect for kids who wish to get their ideas off the ground quickly. Python is regarded as one of the most straightforward programming languages because of its simple syntax and emphasis on whitespace. Python requires fewer lines of code to get started, so even beginners can get up and running quickly. It is mainly used in machine learning, Artificial intelligence, Big Data, GUI-based desktop applications, and Robotics.
Advantages of learning Python:
- Python is easy to read, easy to understand, and easy to write
- It integrates with other programming languages like C, C++, and Java
- Python executes code line by line, making it simple for the programmer to track down any errors
- Python is platform-independent means you can write code once and run it anywhere
Scratch is another excellent visual environment designed by MIT for younger kids and anyone who prefers to work graphically. It’s the ideal programming language for getting kids interested in coding. It gives youngsters a firm foundation in programming ideas by dragging and dropping code blocks to animate characters, play games, and develop apps.
While this language is primary enough for kids, it has enough features and options that even experienced programmers can use. Scratch also offers a very active online community where individuals share their artwork and games, which can help your kids get even more engaged. It demonstrates to children how much fun coding can be.
Advantages of learning scratch:
- It is fun and creative
- Sharpens analytical skills and logic
- Easy to understand
- A stepping stone to more advanced programming
The language is widely used, has many users, and is supported by all major web browsers. It enables programmers to create intricate features that bring web pages to life. It aids programmers in developing dynamic websites, servers, mobile applications, animated visuals, and games, among other things.
- It can create attractive, dynamic websites, and rich interfaces
- It can develop visually appealing, dynamic websites with rich user interfaces
Java is one of the most widely used programming languages globally and is best for intermediate students. It is an excellent option for kids who want a solid foundation in coding that they can build on for years to come. Many kids learn Java because they want to build in Minecraft. For example, you can construct a Minecraft Mod without knowing the underlying code using graphical interfaces and special tools.
Java is beneficial to kids since it can create gaming engines, Android mobile apps, massive back-end environments, and other applications. There are a few early challenges to overcome, such as installing JDK and knowing how the syntaxes function, but the programming language’s object-oriented structure makes it simple for kids to progress.
Advantages of learning Java:
- Java is a highly secured programming language because there is no concept of explicit pointers
- Java is easy to write, compile, learn, and debug as compared to other programming languages
- It provides an ability to run the same program on different platforms
- It is capable of performing multiple tasks at the same time
Beginner programmers will find Ruby’s syntax to be the most understandable. Instead of spending a lot of time explaining the code that students type into machines, they will be able to figure out a lot of it independently. This is a critical consideration for kids who are still learning programming ideas.
Ruby is a programming language that is used in both front-end and back-end web development. It is primarily intended for the creation of CGI (Common Gateway Interface) scripts. Because Ruby is a powerful language that was first used to develop Twitter, you can show them that the application is utilized on significant sites.
Advantages of learning Ruby:
- Ruby supports various GUI (Graphical User Interface) tools like GTK and OpenGL
- It is used to develop both internet as well as intranet applications
- The code written in Ruby is small and contains a fewer number of lines
C++ is the most acceptable language to learn if you want to learn more about computer science. Many experts and developers disagree over whether or not a student should begin with C++. Because this programming language resembles arithmetic, it may deter students from learning to code.
C++, on the other hand, can open many doors into the world of programming once the principles of programming are grasped. Many of today’s most successful programmers began their programming careers by learning C or C++. This programming language can be used to create systems software, games, and various other programs.
Advantages of learning C++:
- C++ is a structured programming language that is easy to learn and use
- It provides high-level abstraction, is valuable for a low-level programming language, and is more efficient for general purposes.
- C++ is more compatible with the C language
7. HTML/ CSS
Advantages of learning HTML and CSS:
- Working with digital designers and developers is easier if you know HTML and CSS.
- To create a responsive website.
- To define styles for your web pages, including the design, layout, and variations in display for different devices and screen sizes.
PHP is a programming language that is ideally learned after HTML. It is because it involves HTML to pull up and display web pages. This programming language is best suited for creating interactive web pages.
It is the code that powers popular content management systems like Drupal and WordPress.PHP is interpreted and should be easy to learn for more mature kids with some knack for programming.
Advantages of learning PHP:
- PHP is a more secure and easy-to-use programming language
- It supports powerful online libraries.
- It can run on a variety of operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- It provides excellent compatibility with cloud services.
Perl had a massive role in building the World Wide Web. Why? It is a widely-used programming language in web development. You encounter this language whenever you send a form through a website.
Moreover, Perl is an interpreted language that is procedural at its core but also has object-oriented features. Some of the syntaxes can be challenging. So it’s usually recommended for older kids or those who have exceptional coding skills.
Advantages of learning Perl:
- Perl is free to use, and there are plenty of resources to learn the programming language.
- Can able to run Perl on any platform because of its portability
- Multi-platform support
- It may use for text processing, web programming, system administration, or application development.
Alice is a free-to-use, block-based programming language developed for kids and teenagers. Its innovative coding environment makes it reasonably easy for program animators, interactive narratives, and accessible games in 3D. Unlike many of the puzzle-based coding applications, Alice motivates learning through creative exploration.
Alice is designed to teach logical and computational thinking skills and programming fundamentals and introduce object-oriented programming. It uses a drag-and-drop approach, making it an excellent choice for kids who want to learn to code while having fun.
Advantages of learning Alice:
- Alice makes it possible to illustrate simplified terms.
- Alice’s interface is very recognizable for kids and very friendly.
- A transparent and easy-to-understand work process.
Let Your Kids Explore Programming
Almost everyone can benefit from learning to program. It instills in you the ability to consider how a process operates. It teaches you how to evaluate the steps required to complete a process and how to overcome challenges.
There are a variety of reasons why kids and teens should learn how to code. Improve your child’s computational thinking abilities, creativity, and if-then reasoning with a week of programming training at ItsMyBot, which offers a variety of programming courses for kids and teens ages 6–15 (as well as online coding classes for kids and teens) in a variety of coding languages.
While this article should help you figure out which programming languages are ideal for your kids, each of these languages will assist students in better understanding programming fundamentals and gaining a passion for coding. You can contact us for extra assistance in choosing a course. We love to help you!